We all have fundamental beliefs about reality and about ourselves, and it is from these beliefs that one constructs a worldview. Some people have a traditional worldview, while others have a more modern or postmodern worldview. Today’s world suffers from a clash of worldviews those who are traditionally minded with religion and spirituality vs. those who embrace science and who are mostly nonreligious.
Unfortunately, it is differing worldviews that led to people’s inability to understand and productively communicate with each other. When there are competing groups with incompatible ethical and moral frameworks as well as different political ideologies, this results in dangerous and unbearable tension in society.
The book Seeking a More Enlightened Worldview investigates this clash by assessing the basic building blocks of fundamental beliefs and how they are constructed into worldviews. This project seeks to find a middle ground between the traditional, modern, and postmodern worldviews and to form a more enlightened integral worldview.
Mutual understanding is obtainable if we first achieve a higher level of inner awareness. By employing the appropriate innovations in communication, even the most scientifically minded people might be able to learn something from religious and spiritually minded people, and vice versa. The key to unlocking this is the use of modern phenomenology, which is a science of first-person conscious experience. When used in conjunction with contemporary physical and social sciences, it is a tool of knowledge and understanding that is used to build a common language among the vastly different worldviews. This cultivated sense of understanding will allow for reasonable and evidence based features to be identified and appreciated. These notions are brought together to construct a more enlightened worldview that can build bridges between people and thus lead to more social understanding and also hopefully to more political harmony.
This first volume is intended for release in 2020. It consists of three parts. Part 1 describes the overall purpose of the project, including the problems we are trying to address and our proposed solution and how we plan on achieving these goals. Part 2 focuses on general sensemaking, including how knowledge is developed, the foundation of science, and the evaluation of truth claims. Part 3 introduces modern phenomenology as a science of first-person consciousness that can be used to explore and to hopefully find satisfactory answers to the great questions of life.
- Part 1: Introduction
- High level overview of the Enlightened Worldview project
- The state of our civilization that makes this project necessary: The clash of worldviews
- The need for a more enlightened worldview
- Part 2: Building the Structure of Knowledge
- The Basis of Knowledge Formation
- Epistemic Justification
- The Foundation of Science and the Laws of Nature
- Evaluation of Truth Claims
- The Structure of Knowledge
- Part 3: Scientific Innovations to Promote Greater Social Understanding and Inner Awareness
- Finding an Epistemology that Can Apply to All Aspects of Life
- The Various Forms of Phenomenology from Ancient Times to the Present
- A Roadmap Toward A Paradigm Shift in Phenomenology
- A Proposed Methodology for a More Modern Phenomenology
- Summary of conclusions from Volume 1 and a preview of Volume 2
Volume 2 uses the modern phenomenological method that was outlined in the first volume to conduct explorations of the essential aspects of first-person conscious experience so that an ethical framework can be constructed. This is then used as a guideline for evaluating practical socio-political matters.
This book is in the early stages of development and might be released in 2021 or 2022.
- Summary of Volume 1
- Introduction to Volume 2
- Phenomenological research projects related to “The Great Dilemma”
- Language and Meaning
- The Content and Reference of Thought
- Free Will
- The Self
- A Foundational Theory of Ethics
- Completing the Picture of the Metaphysics of Consciousness
- How practical political issues can be more reasonably addressed with guidance from this understanding
- High level summary of everything up to this point
- How it fits into a more enlightened worldview
- How there are still semi religious/spiritual questions of life that are components of a comprehensive worldview that will be addressed in Volume 3
Volume 3 includes phenomenological spiritual explorations, which is essentially the use of the modern phenomenological method to explore the matters that are usually understood to be in the domain of religion, but that might be understood better through a certain form of reasoned spirituality.
This book is in the early stages of development and might be released approximately 2 years after Volume 2 is released.
- Summary of Volumes 1 and 2
- Introduction to Volume 3
- Phenomenological Spiritual Explorations
- Ultimate Explanation and the possibility of the existence of God
- Speculations about the Problem of Suffering and Theodicy
- Speculations on The Meaning of Life
- How practical socio-cultural matters can be more reasonably addressed with guidance from this understanding
- High level summary of everything up to this point
- How all of this fits into a more enlightened worldview