What is your worldview?

Discussions relating to God, the afterlife, explanation, prediction, and the meaning of life

What is your worldview?

Postby Brandon Norgaard on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:06 pm

Having read the definition of worldview provided on this site, what is your worldview? How did you come to believe this? Does your worldview guide you to find answers to all questions that you have about life? Are some things left to mystery?
Brandon Norgaard
Site Admin

Re: What is your worldview?

Postby technicolor on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 am

My view of a better world is this: Agency and Freedom are the Innate forces in the nature of Man that allows him to reach above and beyond his own expectations; and to realize just who he is in the Cosmos. This is the Dream of every Man; that is to soar among his pears and say "We are the only creatures that are aware of our place and time in our Universe; and we are capable of Many great and noble deeds and accomplishments. We are an Heritage of our Creator; and were brought forth in this time and place to carry out peace and prosperity through our example to our fellow Men and to be a force of much good in the World. We will not Legislate Morality nor will we dictate our sense of such; but by our faith in our God and that of our fellow Man will go forth boldly and Nobly, triumphant in this cause; waving the banner of truth and freedom, along with justice; as we go. The only adverse argument to such would be that of those that would seek to take control over Others, through compulsory means and to thwart the cause of Freedom for all Mankind. My hope is that all Men everywhere will have the courage to Stand for the cause of Freedom .
technicolor

Postby Brandon Norgaard on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Thank you Technicolor for sharing your opinions. I think you answered a question other than the one I asked, however. The question is "What is your worldview?" and you have already, in other postings, gave details about your worldview - CJC LDS. You see, according to the definition of worldview provided in this site, this is either a religion or some philosophy in place of a religion that answers the questions of life.

Now, you answered what you think would make a better world. This would be a good question to pose to the members here, but I have thus far stayed away from asking questions that are dependent on politics and economics because I haven't yet done enough research into these areas to have clear and detailed opinions of my own. I do have political opinions, but I am not ready to share them until I have done more research and also written a follow up book to the one that I am currently trying to get published. At a later time, I plan to set up a separate website to that is based on political opinion and where I will have a forum to ask the member political questions and then I can provide my won well-researched opinions.

And yes, I do suppose that your post wasn't all that political in nature, but it would be impossible for me to answer the question "what would make a better world" without getting into politics and economics in addition to philosophy and religion.
Brandon Norgaard
Site Admin

Postby Rontx on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:04 pm

You asked, "Having read the definition of worldview provided on this site, what is your worldview?" My worldview, based on the answers that I have,(as you defined 'worldview'), is, as I've stated before, we are gods in the making. I'm a bit surprised that you haven't challenged my submission of that radical concept, or at least commented.
Jesus was murdered for claiming to be one with his Father. He revealed that our destiny is to become one with him and the/our Father as he is. Do you accept and agree with what Jesus revealed in this regard. Or do you feel that it is blasphemy to think/believe the truth - that we/mankind are here to become one with God.
Any other deduction is a bit foolish to me. What say you?
Rontx

Postby Brandon Norgaard on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Rontx wrote:You asked, "Having read the definition of worldview provided on this site, what is your worldview?" My worldview, based on the answers that I have,(as you defined 'worldview'), is, as I've stated before, we are gods in the making. I'm a bit surprised that you haven't challenged my submission of that radical concept, or at least commented.
Jesus was murdered for claiming to be one with his Father. He revealed that our destiny is to become one with him and the/our Father as he is. Do you accept and agree with what Jesus revealed in this regard. Or do you feel that it is blasphemy to think/believe the truth - that we/mankind are here to become one with God.
Any other deduction is a bit foolish to me. What say you?

Well, I don't think any of us can ever become Gods. But you know, when I was explaining to my brother years ago about my realization of spirituality and how all things came from the higher power and then I went on to say that, though the higher power created us, we have free will to act as we want and the higher power does not determine this. He then responded "wouldn't this be like as if the higher power broke itself off to create you?" And it kind of is like that, but our actions, though free, are still constrained to whatever the higher power allows. Our exact actions are not determined, but the range of possible actions is. And in my solution to the problem of evil, which I posted in the "Advanced Concepts" section, I concluded that God wants us to have perfect freedom eventually so long as we deserve it. Still, I don't believe that this would make us godlike, but close in some ways.
Brandon Norgaard
Site Admin

Postby technicolor on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:51 pm

I've returned to stir the hornets nest; as I see there have been few posts since my brief sabbatical.
My glasses are somewhat rosy and naive, but this way I can express uninhibited opinions and still deem them to be sensible. My relatively short time here on Earth has enabled me to discover some seemingly profound facts. One such discovery is that Man is the only known creature in his realm of living that can consciously state that there may be a Creator; or for that matter, can even concur that He (man) is a living being. In modern times it seems that the further Man strays from his conscientious moorings, and his innate reasoning, he seems to lose his way through his own deemed intelligence. That is, that from the very day Mankind was left on the doorstep of Earth, he knew and has always known that he was and is a creation of a Father. Where has there ever been a Son without a Father? Where has there ever been a Mother without a child? Our parents placed us here for a reason, and that is to learn. What must we learn? Enough of the lessons of life in order to determine our eternal destiny. Work! What a concept. What kind of work? Works of righteousness. If those works attest to our love for our Parents and our fellow beings,then we have a good start. We will attain according to out desires. There are other factors that help us achieve a better existence, but they are extremely personal in nature and are for another day. Thanx
technicolor

Postby Brandon Norgaard on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks for your post, Technicolor. I haven't been advertising this site recently so this is why the traffic has been down recently. I'm trying to get more word of mouth traffic and more links from other sites where I don't have to pay. Advertising costs money. I don't want pay to advertise this site until I have an actual book to sell, but hopefully I can get people here without advertising. Its a little slow right now, but I think it will pick up before too long. I've got some ideas.
Brandon Norgaard
Site Admin

Postby gnomon on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:34 pm

Brandon

I just want to let you know that I have adapted your Worldview chart for use on my upcoming Enformity website. I had previously used a version of Leo Apostel's worldview definers on the Enformationism website. But this one is better for my current purpose, which is to construct a consistent, comprehensive worldview based on the Enformationism thesis. I hope it's not copyrighted. :)

gnomon
gnomon

Postby Brandon Norgaard on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:00 pm

gnomon wrote:Brandon

I just want to let you know that I have adapted your Worldview chart for use on my upcoming Enformity website. I had previously used a version of Leo Apostel's worldview definers on the Enformationism website. But this one is better for my current purpose, which is to construct a consistent, comprehensive worldview based on the Enformationism thesis. I hope it's not copyrighted. :)

gnomon

Thats great. I actually looked at Apostel's list as described in "From Fragmentation to Integration" and also Clement Vidal's reworking of this list that was done in more recent years. Apostel himself had multiple versions of the elements that make up worldview throughout his life. I merged these two and added some content of my own. I'm sure the sources that I got this stuff from are copyrighted, but I'm also pretty sure it is okay to use this material as long as you site the sources. Since it is in the first place academic and not commercial, I seriously would not expect any lawyers from Apostel's estate banging on your door.
Brandon Norgaard
Site Admin

Postby gnomon on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Rontx wrote: My worldview, based on the answers that I have,(as you defined 'worldview'), is, as I've stated before, we are gods in the making. I'm a bit surprised that you haven't challenged my submission of that radical concept, or at least commented.

Rontx
I was recently reminded, by Dan Browns' book, THE LOST SYMBOL, that the early Christians were divided on this question. One view, which eventually became the official Roman Catholic doctrine, was that a great gulf existed between God and Man---bridgeable only by divine grace, as mediated by the Church. The other worldview, explicitly espoused in the Gnostic Gospels, was that God is always within you, and the introspective doorway can be opened by clever individuals who have acquired privileged secret knowledge. The Gnostic concept of perfectible man seems to have followed an underground, occult, esoteric path, to resurface in modern Mystical and Masonic doctrines. It's true that the mystical worldviews are essentially deistic, but they are also incompatible with modern, non-occult Science.

My worldview has no place for either doctrine : Great Gulf or Mystical Union . I do suspect that our ultimate destiny may be to rejoin the Source from whence we emerged. But. until then, the spark of divinity within us is expressed as the ordinary-but-exceptional human Mind. We may well be gods-in-the-making, but our current stage is far from the finished product. Meanwhile, the Gulfers are playing vulgar, holier-than-thou games, and the Mystics are playing patrician secret-club games. The gnostic knowledge of my worldview is the public information of mundane, man-made Science, and the only gulf between us and G*D is time and space.
gnomon

Next

Return to The Universe