Is Mormonism a cult?

Discussions relating to the positive and negative aspects of traditional faith-based religions

Is Mormonism a cult?

Postby Brandon Norgaard on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:48 pm

The Christian religion, which was founded nearly 2,000 years ago, has a fair amount of whimsical beliefs that simply do not add up in light of a modern understanding of the universe. The Mormon religion, which was based on Christianity and was founded less than 200 years ago, takes Christianity’s whimsical beliefs and adds to them by orders of magnitude. Many of these beliefs are so ridiculous that I have a hard time understanding how anyone raised this day and age can honestly believe them. I challenge any Mormon to provide hard evidence for any of their beliefs.

Mormon doctrine includes the following:
Belief that praying for long deceased people will help them, even though such people are, of course, dead.
Belief that a sacred undergarment will protect them from evil.
Belief that our god actually began as a human on another planet and that humans here can become god of their own planet.
Belief that Native Americans are descended from a lost tribe of Israel, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Belief that Joseph Smith could read an Egyptian papyrus before the Rosetta Stone was dicyphered. This same papyrus has since been proven to be a common Egyptian burial document, not at all the content that Smith claimed.
Belief that Jesus had relations with his mother Mary.
Belief that the president of the church is a prophet whose word is to be taken as the word of God.

This is only a partial list of strange things that most Mormons appear to believe without question. From this is seems that Mormonism is a kind of cult. Is there anyone who wishes to defend this religion? If so, how do you defend these beliefs? Please provide evidence. I have heard that Mormons are encouraged to believe on the basis of a "burning in the bosom", which is another way of saying that they simply let their emotions get the best of them rather than thinking clearly and rationally. If any Mormon reads this and is offended, please explain to me how I am wrong and I promise that I will consider your arguments rationally.
Brandon Norgaard
Site Admin

Re: Is Mormonism a cult?

Postby technicolor on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

The Bible says that men in our day would be "ever learning, but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth" This, respectfully, appears to be your case. Three of four of your premises are false and flawed. It is said that if you want to know about a persons beliefs, you don't ask his enemies. Lastly, if all of these topics were explained to you, would it be enough? In your mind, your mind is opened; but in your heart, your mind is shut. If men were truly humble, they would recognize that they only discover truth, they don't create it. Your allegations aren't personal to me; but you might reconsider your own introspection and approach toward religion. What in the Mormon religion have you discovered hurts society or other people. We believe in helping and loving our neighbor; family unity, and traditional marriage existing back to the first known man; and taking care of our own, both physically and emotionally. "By their fruits ye shall know them". The Church is fiscally sound and is a lay ministry. No one is compelled to contribute; as all is voluntary. Can you say that about an agnostic organization? Just One. Even the U.S. Government can't get that one right. Your troubled heart will continue to be troubled until you find your life's quest; even God; just as it is natural for a lost orphan to search for and find his or her parents.
technicolor

Postby technicolor on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Note of interest: only one of your alleged interpretations of the Mormon religion was correct. Yes we do believe in a Modern day prophet. Most had a problem with that historically also. Many of them were murdered or ran out of their own country. Look what happened to Christ. Was he such a bad Man? He represented nothing that was contrary to the definition of Love. His problem was He was the Son of God. He died for you and for me; and for all. "As in Adam, all die; even so in Christ shall all be made alive". This was his gift to all men.
technicolor

Postby Brandon Norgaard on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:01 pm

technicolor wrote: Three of four of your premises are false and flawed.
It is said that if you want to know about a persons beliefs, you don't ask his enemies.

Which is flawed? I do acknowledge that my original post might be factually incorrect regarding Mormon belief. If this is the case, please explain what Mormons do believe, along with the evidence in favor of believing this.
technicolor wrote:Lastly, if all of these topics were explained to you, would it be enough?

Well, if I am wrong then I would certainly like to know the truth. If you are correct and Mormonism is the one true religion, then I need to know this. It is in my interest. I do doubt this is the case, but I am very interested in how people form beliefs. Right now, the best explanation is that many Mormon beliefs have no evidence yet people believe them anyways and I am certain that the act of believing things without evidence is often harmful.[/quote]
technicolor wrote:What in the Mormon religion have you discovered hurts society or other people.

Children are discouraged from thinking for themselves about how things work in nature and are instead told stories for which there is no evidence as explanations for the all of nature and are discouraged from thinking critically about things or from challenging authority which is sometimes oppressive. This only applies to some, but the power structure and the obedience to authority that is part of the Mormon culture ends up causing some to be victimized, especially the young and female. This is sad but true. There are real life stories to back this up. I know this only applies to some but not all, but it does appear that these stories are, in part, caused by the culture that is created by Mormon beliefs.
Brandon Norgaard
Site Admin

Postby technicolor on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Brandon, in order to get all of the info you need in your search for the truth about Latter Day Saint Doctrine, go to LDS.org. Also, when you arrive, go to the 13 Articles of Faith. You will find your answers there. Ultimately, if you desire to know the truth of all things, ask God. Just as in James of the New Testiment The Lord promises an answert if you ask in Faith. Again, don't let your secular background blind your spirit. Not all things in the Universe are physically explanatory. Just as you see the unseen evidence of God all around you, so you can search the truths about him by learning how to relate to Him.
Though I know the answers to your aforementioned so-called mormon beliefs; I will address the most egregious, as time will only permit. "Belief that Jesus had relations with his Mother Mary".
First, one must know that fundamental LDS doctrine states that the Father and the Son are two separate and distinct individuals. We believe that somehow Mary Concieved through being overshadowed by the Holy Spirit of God. If Jesus is the Son of God, then God is his Father, and Mary is his Mother. That is pretty simple; would you not say? As far as Jesus doing anything strange to his own Mother would be a concept conjured up by purely evil peiople. They thrive on "smoke and mirrors".
technicolor

Postby anthony6 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 pm

I don't have a belief system so I have nothing to defend. To me it is a Cult. It has many characteristics of Cult 1954 was their last Human sacrifice in the temple. Once you become a member your freedom is gone. They are listed as a cult religion in several places.
Wayne
anthony6

Postby technicolor on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:48 pm

If you have no beliefs, then what is your place in time? Why are you here? Where are you going? Where did you come from? Just curious. I think I know, but I'm curious if you do. As pertaining to your allegation concerning human sacrifice in temples; that is completely False. I will stake my life on that. I would like to have a dialogue. Mormonism is not officially called mormonism. It is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Christ is our Saviour and Redeemer. He is our God. We believe that he created the heavens and the Earth. We also believe that when He was crucified, that he came forth from the tomb after three days; and he has been a perfect and glorious resurrected being and God ever since. He is our Mediator with the Father; who is also a tangible, resurrected Being; even God the Father. They created the Heavens and the Earth. I know these things to be true. If this is a cult; all cults should be so forthcoming and successful. Joseph Smith is not our God nor is Moses. They were both Prophets. I know that is hard for some to ingest, as they would just as soon dispense of them, as believe.
technicolor

Postby Brandon Norgaard on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:42 pm

I myself am doubting the human sacrifice allegation and I will also say that it is, all factors considered, unfair to call Mormonism (CJCoLDS) a "cult". However, I have not heard a response to the assessment, which I wrote in a previous post, that this religion does discourage followers from questioning the beliefs and strongly discourages dissent. There is clear evidence that the culture within this religion ends up leading to some using their power and unquestionable prestige as men to take advantage of the women and children in their families. Incidents of abuse do occur and unfortunately many Mormons tend to look the other way rather than to help the victim because doing so would expose the hypocrisy that flourishes among some of the Mormon faithful. There have been several notable incidents in recent years of people, mostly young, who have left the church and their family and sought shelter because of abuse. And this is just the physical abuse. Mental abuse is much more common and it is something we don't hear about as much. Children of Mormon families are taught to believe everything that the church says and to not question their position of privilege.
Brandon Norgaard
Site Admin

Postby technicolor on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Brandon Norgaard wrote:I myself am doubting the human sacrifice allegation and I will also say that it is, all factors considered, unfair to call Mormonism (CJCoLDS) a "cult". However, I have not heard a response to the assessment, which I wrote in a previous post, that this religion does discourage followers from questioning the beliefs and strongly discourages dissent. There is clear evidence that the culture within this religion ends up leading to some using their power and unquestionable prestige as men to take advantage of the women and children in their families. Incidents of abuse do occur and unfortunately many Mormons tend to look the other way rather than to help the victim because doing so would expose the hypocrisy that flourishes among some of the Mormon faithful. There have been several notable incidents in recent years of people, mostly young, who have left the church and their family and sought shelter because of abuse. And this is just the physical abuse. Mental abuse is much more common and it is something we don't hear about as much. Children of Mormon families are taught to believe everything that the church says and to not question their position of privilege.

I emphatically disagree; as our Religion is partly based upon a young boy who questioned all religions when at a young age was seeking the truth. One of the hallmarks of "Mormonism" is verification through a personal dialogue with God the Father, through personal revelation through the Spirit of the Holy Ghost (Holy Spirit). Abuse is much less evident in our society than is in society at large. We are Human; that is true, but we condemn any type of abuse and do it publicly. I come from this culture and strongly questioned it in my Youth, and was never ostracized at any time. After having left Mormonism for 7 years, I returned on my own as a result of my seeking truth. I humbly and forthrightly submit this to you. Thanks for your conversation. Just for the record, I was one of those "white shirt and tie" dudes that you attacked earlier; when I was in my twenties; in California. I really enjoyed it and found it to be very enlightening to go among the people and get to know their beliefs and ideas; regardless if they weren't interested in what we had to say. In two years I can honestly say, I had only one door slammed in my face, and that was before we even had a chance to introduce ourselves. I was a wild teen and tween before that, so I had experience from both sides of the isle. Anyway we, as a church are a lay ministry; as no one is paid to work in the Church. We are all volunteers. I don't think there is another church that can claim that; that is self-sustaining. Thanks again.
technicolor

Return to Traditional Religion: Pros and Cons